9. ST. VINCENT – MASSEDUCTION

I owe my friend Adam a lot for introducing me to St. Vincent, through her wonderful self-titled fourth record, when we exchanged our albums of the year lists at the end of 2014: I think that record was second on his list that year, and that inspired me to buy it. Although I’ve still not yet gone backwards and investigated her releases from before that, St. Vincent was one of my most-played albums in 2015, and I was really excited about MASSEDUCTION on release. It did exactly what I wanted, delivering more ultra-high quality adventure-pop, but moving in new directions. MASSEDUCTION is both confrontational and intimate. It’s a theatrical record, but one that also feels personal and affecting. Most importantly, it’s a huge amount of fun. Musically, it mixes warm percussion with stabbing guitar licks, strangely constructed synthesiser parts and haunting piano. At times it is vast in scope, like on the anthemic ‘Los Angeles’ or the frantic title track. But elsewhere it is incredibly stripped down, such as on the soulful slide-guitar of ‘Happy Birthday, Johnny’, or the absolutely wonderful ‘New York’ (which is my second favourite individual track by anyone in 2017, pushing the Foo Fighters’ super ‘The Sky Is A Neighbourhood’ to third). Lyrically, MASSEDUCTION consistently is intelligent, confident and challenging. St. Vincent is a true pop artist, of a vintage that seems to me to be comparatively rare now: she’s a successor to the likes of Prince or (pre-downslide) Michael Jackson. More please.

sample track: New York